TurboTax: File Your Tax Return on the App Store
TurboTax has a lot going for it, but price isn’t one of them. The list price of its software routinely is on the high end of the spectrum, especially when adding the cost of a state return. And if you want access to human help, it costs even more. Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This influences which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. Here is a list of our partners and here’s how we make money.
The result is a simplicity that will put even the most anxious mind at ease. TurboTax’s product doesn’t just fulfill its value proposition—it delivers value while feeling cohesive, friendly, and trustworthy from start to finish. turbotax options No, that’s not a hot new machine learning algorithm that has finally mastered empathy—it’s just smart product copy. TurboTax understands the mindset of its users and uses thoughtful copy to a make them feel comfortable.
Drawbacks of DIY Software Like TurboTax
These taxpayers can turn to programs like the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, which relies on trained volunteers to help taxpayers complete basic returns. To qualify, you must earn less than $56,000 per year/have limited English-language ability. Another program, Tax Counseling for the Elderly , ttps://turbo-tax.org/ helps taxpayers 60 and above, emphasizing pensions and retirement-related nuances. TurboTax offers online and desktop versions of its software, with different prices depending on your tax filing needs. You can also log in and work on your taxes with the TurboTax mobile app for Android and iOS devices.
- TurboTax also offers desktop software, where your return doesn’t reside in the cloud, but it’s not part of our review.
- Independent contractors or freelancers who want some help with their taxes have to pay more than $200 to get assistance from TurboTax, not including the cost of state taxes.
- Import last year’s return, your W-2, and 1099 forms from payroll and other financial partners.
- You can get your refund in a few weeks if you file electronically and elect for direct deposit.
- Any investing information provided on this page is for educational purposes only.
Filing taxes can be intimidating but TaxAct makes the process extremely simple. It is completely free and they provide step by step guide for you to follow when filing. They walk you through the entire process as if you were to be sitting in an office.
TurboTax support can help you get your taxes done right
The vertical pane that opens articles and FAQs might answer your question right away or might not, because it doesn’t always prioritize the best or most sought answers. When you click the question mark link at the top of a page, the TurboTax Assistant opens in the right pane. It’s an interactive tool that lets you enter a question and see links to corresponding FAQs and other site-related information.
- TurboTax also offers a service that has a CPA or other tax professional complete your return and file it for you; this currently starts at $209 for simple federal returns.
- TurboTax Self-Employed includes many stand-out features.
- A tax pro who knows you can provide personalized advice and help you save money in future tax years.
- For only expert advice, plans run from $79 to $199 for federal returns.
- H&R Block has slightly lower prices than TurboTax for most paid versions of its online tax-filing platforms.
This is the gear and the strategies we at Wirecutter use to move from a paper-based home office to an all-digital filing and storage system. Select independently determines what we cover and recommend. We earn a commission from affiliate partners on many offers and links. Read more about Select on CNBC and on NBC News, and click here to read our full advertiser disclosure.